The Fiscal and Compliance Associate will be responsible for utilizing the agency’s accounting software package and other related software to perform accounting duties. Safeguard and disburse the assets of ESR according to procedures within the framework provided. Assist with maintaining the books of accounts, backup records, aid in preparing grant reports in an approved manner consistent with proper controls and funding source requirements. Assuring that all outstanding contracts are satisfied and conducive to NC ROMA principles.
Reports to: Senior Finance Director
- Assures that the bookkeeping methods and practices are in keeping with requirements of the funding sources and the Experiment in Self-Reliance.
- Applies principles of accounting to install and maintain operation of general system.
- Assists with financial reports and ensures submission at required due dates.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets annually of all grants.
- Assists the Executive Director in the development and preparation of budgets and general accounting procedures.
- Attends Board of Directors and Finance Committee meetings.
- Reviews and approves purchase requests to ensure that funds exist for purchases based on budget and funds availability. Prepares accruals as required to properly record costs for each period.
- Performs financial data entry by using agency’s computer system and software.
- Prepares approved invoices and other documents for payment. Prepares checks for authorized signature(s).
- Maintains files of payment vouchers and forms with backup documents, checks, reports, leave applications, etc. in an acceptable manner per ESR accounting procedures.
- Assists the Sr. Finance Director in the review and monitoring of approved budgets to ensure that expenses do not exceed budget limitations. Notifies the Sr. Finance Director of the necessity of budget changes/amendments due to spending patterns.
- Assists with reconciling the general ledger accounts with detail for such items as property, prepaid costs, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Ensures that agency property is properly inventoried and tagged. Maintains records of depreciated value of property.
- Assists with the revision and development of forms required for proper documentation of costs incurred. Provides training to staff as necessary for compliance with accounting procedures.
- Provides assistance during the funding source monitoring visits and agency audit, provides documentation of transactions, and provides information regarding internal controls and other requests made by the monitors/auditors.
- Attends training/workshops as required by duties and general employee development.
- Attends requested/required staff and Board of Directors’ meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintains the purchasing system within the agency in ordering office supplies and equipment and other items purchased—also maintains the stockroom for supplies requisitioned.
- Serves as an ambassador for the Experiment in Self-Reliance and respects the integrity of the organization.
- Serves as a team player and assists in furthering the mission of the organization.
- Performs other job-related duties as required by the Executive Director.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, crawl, bend, stoop, climb, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee may be frequently required to sit and talk. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is rarely exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
- The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation that may be used in the performance of duties.
- Must possess a 4-year college degree in Accounting and three years’ experience.
- No history of bad debts or criminal convictions, and must be bondable.
- Individual must be computer literate and have working knowledge of computer data-entry processes, Microsoft programs, and other related software.